Kandiyohi County History

 

Welcome to Kandiyohi County


untitledOriginally, what is now Kandiyohi County was two separate counties - Kandiyohi and Monongalia. Both were established in 1858 and both functioned independently until the two counties merged twelve years later in an economical move. The people of the two counties realized that both counties were too small to function efficiently and economically as separate governmental units, so they formed one county government in a very lop-sided referendum.
The log cabin home of Mark Piper, Register of Deeds of original Kandiyohi County, served, more or less, as the original courthouse. Most of the County records were kept there and the commissioners used it as a meeting place. Piper took the County records with him when he left the area during the Sioux Uprising of 1862, and the records he saved now comprise the sole record of original Kandiyohi County's first four years of existence.
At times the county used the J. C. Bright cabin for a headquarters, for which they paid Mr. Bright the sum of $1
0.00. Piper was paid $50.00 for the same purpose, but for a period of two years. Several other homes were used as the Courthouse for short periods of time until 1870 when the County offices were officially established in rented quarters in Kandiyohi Station.


KandiyohiCounty in MN

 See Also: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kandiyohi_County,_Minnesota