department events

Services for those over the age of 65

Kandiyohi County helps people of all ages and abilities find resources to live successfully in the community.   The Home and Community Based Services unit can help you get started on finding solutions that will help you or a loved one live as independently as possible. The first step is getting a MnCHOICES Assessment

Schedule an Assessment by contacting the MnCHOICES Intake Services by phone at 320-231-7800, extension 2498 to schedule a time for an assessment.  A social worker and/or nurse will come to your home. MnCHOICES is a tool that helps you, if you need supports because of age or disability, to identify what is important to you and what is essential for you to continue to live in your home or community. The visit usually takes about three and half hours. For more information see Kandiyohi County Health and Human Services MnCHOICES web page.

Eligibility:  We can help you apply for public assistance and navigate through home and community based Medicaid programs, home care services, and Long term services and support housing options.  Seniors are eligible for county services if they:

  • Receive Minnesota Senior Care Plus (MSC+) and Minnesota Senior Health Options (MSHO) with Blues Cross Blue Shield. UCare MSHO and MSC+ members should contact UCare member services or your assigned care coordinator.
  • Eligible for Long Term Care Medical Assistance.
  • Would be eligible for Medical Assistance within 135 days of application.

The Alternative Care Program provides services for eligible Minnesotans age 65 or over who require the level of care provided in a nursing home but choose to reside in the community.  To be eligible for Alternative Care the person’s income and assets must be inadequate to fund a nursing facility stay for more than 135 days. The person may be assessed a monthly fee for the services they receive. 

The Elderly Waiver program funds home and community based services for people age 65 and older who are eligible for Medical Assistance and require the level of care provided in a nursing home but choose to live in the community. 

The Essential Community Supports program will provide limited community based supports for recipients who do not meet the revised nursing facility level of care criteria. 

The Relocation Service Coordination Program assists persons who reside in an eligible institution gain access to needed medical, social, educational, financial, housing, and other services and supports that are necessary to move into the community. or call 1-800-333-2466
United Way 2-1-1.  Dial 2-1-1 or 1-800-543-7709
Senior LinkAge Line at 1-800-333-2433
Disability Linkage Line at 1-866-333-2466
Minnesota LINKVET  (Minnesota's Veteran On-line Support) at1-888-546-5838 or email

If you have questions about any services, call Kandiyohi County Health and Human Services at 320-231-7800 during business hours or go to Minnesota Department of Human Services Factsheets