department events


Kandiyohi County helps people of all ages and abilities find resources to live successfully in the community.  The Home and Community Based Services Units can help you get started on finding solutions that will help you live as independently as possible. The first step is getting a MnCHOICES assessment.

Getting an Assessment:  Contact the MnCHOICES Intake Services by phone at 320-231-7800, extension 2498 to schedule a time for an assessment. A social worker and/or nurse will come to your home. MnCHOICES is a tool that helps you, if you need supports because of age or disability, to identify what is important to you and what is essential for you to continue to live in your home or community. The visit usually takes about three and half hours.

Some important things to know are:

  • There is no charge for this service.
  • It’s for people of any age, every disability, and all income levels.
  • You do not need to be on, or eligible for, public programs to have an assessment and get a plan.
  • You do need to be on medical assistance and certified disabled to get publicly funded Long Term Supports and Services.
  • The assessment can occur in your home or a facility like a hospital or nursing home.
  • Others can refer a person for a MnCHOICES assessment but you (the person being assessed) will need to provide verbal consent for the assessment to be scheduled.
  • If you do not agree with the outcome you have the right to appeal.

The MnCHOICES assessment tool uses a person centered approach to identify your strengths, preferences, goals, and needs. The information is used to:

  1. Develop a Community Support Plan (CSP) just for you. The CSP provides options to help you live with supports of your choice in your own home or other setting.
  2. Find out if you are eligible for help through publicly funded programs and services.
  3. Explain why you are, or are not, eligible for publicly funded services. It also helps you know what you may need to do to become eligible.

Only a MnCHOICES Certified Assessor can use the assessment tool. Certified Assessors must meet education and experience requirements. They also must complete a training and certification process.  MnCHOICES may find you eligible for publically funded long-term services and supports such as:

Alternative Care (AC) Program
Brain Injury (BI) Waiver
Community Alternative Care (CAC) Waiver
Community Access for Disability Inclusion (CADI) Waiver
Developmental Disability (DD) Waiver
Elderly Waiver (EW)
Family Support Grant (FSG)
Personal Care Assistance (PCA)
Semi-Independent Living Services (SILS) 

Lead Agency Referrals Only:  MnCHOICES Interagency Contact for Kandiyohi County
     PHONE: 320-231-7800 Extension 2498
     FAX: 320-231-6285

Consumer Directed Community Support Orientation  Presentation for those interested in using this service.
If you have questions about any services, call Kandiyohi County Health and Human Services at 320-231-7800 during business hours or go to Minnesota Department of Human Services Factsheets