Lodging establishments meeting the following definitions must be licensed in Minnesota
- Lodging establishment means a building, structure, enclosure, or any part thereof used as, maintained as, advertised as, or held out to be a place where sleeping accommodations are furnished to the public as regular roomers, for periods of one week or more, and having five or more beds to let to the public.
- Hotel or motel means a building, structure, enclosure, or any part thereof used as, maintained as, advertised as, or held out to be a place where sleeping accommodations are furnished to the public and furnishing accommodations for periods of less than one week.
- Sex Trafficking Training Requirements: Minnesota law requires sex trafficking prevention training for all hotels and motels in the state. The Minnesota Department of Health (MDH), in partnership with the Minnesota Lodging Association, created the Sex Trafficking Prevention and Response Training for the Minnesota Lodging Industry (The Minnesota Hotel Training Package) for hotels and motels to use to satisfy this law.
- Resort means a building, structure, enclosure, or any part thereof located on, or on property neighboring, any lake, stream, skiing or hunting area, or any recreational area for purposes of providing convenient access thereto, kept, used, maintained, or advertised as, or held out to the public to be a place where sleeping accommodations are furnished to the public, and primarily to those seeking recreation for periods of one day, one week, or longer, and having for rent five or more cottages, rooms, or enclosures.
- Boarding establishment means a food and beverage service establishment where food or beverages, or both are furnished to five or more accommodations, for periods of one week or more.
- Bed and Breakfast are owner occupied establishments which offer lodging and breakfast, without a limitation on the number of rooms offered. If breakfast is offered to more than 10 persons, a commercial kitchen is required.
Lodging Construction Guidelines Lodging Plan Review Application Plumbing Plans Local Contacts Prior to construction, plans must be approved by all other local agencies
License Application and Fees: Food, Pools and Lodging License Application and listing of current fees.