department events


Kandiyohi County Sheriff's Office Records

2201 NE 23rd St
Suite 101
Willmar, MN 56201
Phone: 320-214-6700, option 5
Fax: 320-231-6235


Data Practice Guidelines


Frequently Asked Questions

How do I get a copy of a report?
We do not automatically mail out copies of reports. Copies of accident reports, arrest and other incidents handled by the Sheriff’s Office are available for release either by contacting the Records Unit at 320-214-6700 Option 5 or by sending a written request to the Kandiyohi County Sheriff's Office, Records Unit, Suite 101, Willmar, MN 56201.

Accident reports for the driver, owner, witness, and passenger of the car can have the report at no cost. Insurance companies need to have a signed release from their insured and the cost is .25 cents for each page. All other reports are .25 cents for each page. Photo fees vary. Checks should be made payable to the Kandiyohi County Sheriff's Office.
What kind of information cannot be released?

Any report marked “CONFIDENTIAL”, any juvenile reports and/or juvenile names, Social Service reports, anything involving vulnerable adults, victim’s names and any report currently under investigation or where the release of said report might jeopardize the safety and welfare of the people involved.

I need a copy of my accident report for my insurance company.
You are paying your insurance company in premiums to take care of you when you have an accident. Ask them to send a request to our office, along with payment of .25/page, to the Kandiyohi County Sheriff's Office. Requests for photos are $20 for a CD. These requests are handled weekly by Records staff.
Printable Forms:          Permit to Carry             Permit to Purchase
Where do I go to get a gun permit?
Permits may be picked up at Sheriff's Office Records Unit. You will be notified within approximately two weeks. There is no cost for permits to purchase. Permits to carry are good for five years with a fee of $100.00. You must have a certificate of firearms training. Below are a few local businesses that offer the training.

ALPHA Training & Tactics LLC
Steve Marquardt
Spicer, MN 56288
Phone: 320-894-3385

Daniel Edwards
Grove City, MN

Drifter's Firearms Training, LLC
Ernest Liebe
Willmar, MN
Phone: 320-295-8164

E.P.S. Tactical Training Group
Kevin Eckhoff

New London, MN 56273
Phone: 320-354-4196 

Great Lakes Training Group
Eric Holien
Willmar, MN 56201
Phone: 320-226-3225 

Lamppost CCW, Inc.
Donovan Kuehl
Willmar, MN 
Phone: 320-212-7460

Minnesota Gun Class
Gary Peterson
Willmar, MN
Phone: 888-621-5136

Peart and Associates
Howard Peart

Willmar, MN 56201
Phone: 320-235-1137

Jason Elmore

Hawick, MN
Phone: 320-291-1347
How do I get a copy of my driving record?
We can not release driving records.

Please contact the Minnesota Department of Public Safety at (651) 215-1335 or
I need a records check for adoption/passport/VISA.
Simply mail or bring your forms to the Records Unit. We offer this service free of charge. A notary is also available free of charge if required.
I received a ticket.  Can I mail in my fine? How do I find out how much the fine is? Where do I go to pay for my ticket?
All these questions can be answered by contacting Kandiyohi County Court Administration at 320-231-6206.
You do not pay any fines at the Sheriff’s Office. All fines for citations are paid through Court Administration.

If you are offered the Driver's Awareness Diversion class, you may register at the Sheriff's Office. Classes are held on Monday evenings at 6:30 PM for a $75 fee, which is due upon registration.
Where do I go to post bail or satisfy a warrant?
You need to report to the Jail Division in the Law Enforcement Center.
My vehicle was towed by your agency.  How do I get it back?
As long as your car has been cleared for release, you simply need to go to the towing company and show your driver’s license, proof of ownership, and proof of insurance. You do not need a signed release from our department.
Where do I go to have my fingerprints taken?
Fingerprinting is done in the Jail Division in the Law Enforcement Center.
There is a fee of $10 for this service; bring exact change.
You must bring your own fingerprint cards and a photo ID.

Fingerprinting is done everyday, except Friday evenings, at the times listed below:
9:00 a.m. - 11:00 a.m.
12:30 p.m. - 4:30 p.m.
6:30 p.m. - 9:00 p.m. (not on Fridays)
Where do I get information about road restrictions?
Contact Kandiyohi County Public Works at 320-235-3266