With summer in full swing and hot weather on the way, remember to practice HEAT SAFETY.
Minnesota Severe Weather
Are you ready for severe weather? Each year, HSEM in collaboration with the National Weather Service and 16 State and local agencies and organizations sponsors Severe Weather Awareness Week in Minnesota. The week is designed to refresh, remind and educate everyone about the seasonal threats from severe weather and how to avoid them. It's also a great time to make and practice your emergency plan and build or refresh your emergency preparedness kit.
- Alerts and Warnings
- Severe Weather, Lightning and Hail
- Tornadoes (with statewide tornado drills)
- Extreme Heat
CLICK HERE to learn more about the Everbridge Citizen Alert System
Severe weather, road closures and other imminent threats. How will you find out about county wide emergencies and disasters? Early warning helps save lives and property. That's why we want to make sure you're informed. Sign up so you can receive important notices via phone call, text or email. Be Prepared and Be Safe. If you need assistance signing up call 320-235-5133.
Mission: "To support our community's disaster preparedness, response, recovery and mitiagation needs through the coordination of information and resources."
Vision: "A disaster ready community."
- The focal point for overall coordination for all disasters. Planning, training, conducting drills, testing equipment and coordinating activities with communities.
- Effective Emergency Management relies on thorough integration fo emergency plans at all levels of government and non-government involvement.
Kandiyohi County Emergency Management (KCEM) is responsible for development of community based plans and programs to maintain a state of readiness to meet natural, man-made, and technological disasters on a local or countywide basis. KCEM also coordinates and maintains inventories of disaster resources in the county, both public and private, as well as plans for the effective utilization of resources in the county with the assistance of designated county emergency management staff, appointed municipal directors, and volunteers.
The following county agencies fall under Emergency Management...Kandiyohi County Safety Department
Kandiyohi County Emergency Management realizes that it has the responsibility to provide safe work places for its employees, and safe environments for its citizens. Each employee must pursue the highest standards in his or her assigned activities, and all county employees must recognize that the well being of persons and the protection of our physical resources are as important as the activity and work being performed.
Kandiyohi County has established a Loss Control Management Program, and the county expects its management,supervisors and employees to respond to all planned safety efforts and to perform their assigned jobs in the safest possible manner. The Safety Directors will be assigned the responsibility of implementing, organizing and maintaining safety programs. This will include staff direction, safety committee activity and administration of our safety program."
Kandiyohi County Rescue Squad
Mission: "Kandiyohi County Rescue Squad will operate as a division of Kandiyohi County Emergency Management and as such shall prepare for and conduct rescue operation as follows:"
- To save lives and minimize injury by the extrication of accident victims in the County of Kandiyohi.
- To assist law enforcement in search and rescue, evacuation, crowd control, helicopter landing zone and traffic direction in emergency situations.
- To assist emergency medical personnel in an accident or disaster situations as needed,including administration of patient care to the level trained first responder, as requested.
- To assist Kandiyohi County Fire Departments as needed including a portable air refill supply service, Technical Rescue, HAZMaterials as requested.
- To perform such duties as deemed necessary by the Director, Kandiyohi County Emergency Management, to safeguard the lives and property of the residents of Kandiyohi County in emergency or disaster situations.